Thursday, May 29, 2008
Week 3 Post Greener: Men vs Women
Reading my usual bogs regarding environment and communities. I came across a great article that made me reflect in gender. The site had a post title who’s greener: Men vs. Women. The typical stereotype about blaming women for all the wrong doings even Global Warming is in discussion. Some responses expressed how women drive all the SUV, buy variety personal products and cook so much. It is impossible for someone to determent who is greener and who’s not. It is a personal choice regardless the gender. A lot of women and men started this movement a while back and to think that because of Al Gore’s presentation, men can take more credit for being green is absurd. Women are more motherly by nature because they give birth and this might be a big reason why they are more concern with the future of their offspring. In the other hand, men are the providers and have to think about better choices of creating better resources for the planet. Do you think they are doing the job? Or should women be more involved in the resource planning for the future? Through out history, who do you think have given more positive ideas towards our well being in general?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Personally, I tend to lean the other way.
It isn't OK to blame either sex for problems in the environment, but I think its actually women who tend to be more conscious of the way their own actions affect the environment. While there are many activists that are both male and female, I feel that women have a louder voice in the environmental movement than do men.
One example of this is Laurie Lennard, former wife of comedian and producer Larry David. Laurie Lennard is one of many celebrity wives that spends her time campaigning for the environment. She is known to be among the loudest environmental activists in the US, and is one of many women who support similar causes.
I also think that many women are involved in lobbying for legal activism regarding the environment.
Personally, men aren't doing a darn thing for this environment!
I actually do think that environmental change has no bias on gender. I agree with you that it is a personal choice. As far as a specific gender campaigning the most, I wouldn't know. I think it is equal nonetheless, but maybe the majority of men are 'showing' they care because they have to, not because they feel concerned about it.
As far as history is concerned, I think women have twisted some positive ideas to make it seem that they came up with the idea. But either way, the only person to care for our well being is the one who has the most motherly instincts (whether it's a female or male).
I don't believe that you can blame men nor women on our environmental issues. As a society made of of men and women we have both contributed to is decline and we need to both work towards its preservation. Yes, we have some celebreties that are female and out there promoting going green, but let us not let that diminish the men that are also actively support going green but choose to stay behind the scenes. Being a celebrity does not automatically mean they have to publicize their support of saving the environment. Men and women are both empowered to save the planet and do all they can.
Post a Comment