Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Week 1 Business Class Post

I agree with Zulma regarding American History from the 1950's and how women while WWII help changed the view in gender roles and caregivers status. Men had to go to war and women became both the breadwinner and caretaker of the household. However, government changes this after post war integrating man back into the workforce and putting women back into nurturing roles.

In my case my mother was the breadwinner and I had two caretakers (grandma and a Nannie) and in occasions my Dad.
Having this kind of support is rear in this modern life where both parents worked and grandparents are not available. 
My caregivers not only were strangers but also family so I had the best of both worlds but the real love that can be given by the mother as the caretaker is irreplaceable.

Regarding gender and the role of caretakers, a requirement needed is to have your feminine side in tune if you are male or female. In my neighborhood most of the "Stay Home" are Dad's. These men had accepted their feminine side and are comfortable with nurturing and taking care of the general household chores, while the women are finally emerging their masculine side. This off course could create issues of interaction in society such as play dates, playgrounds but I think is a beautiful time to know that anyone can be a caretaker not only women.
I don't think is about the actual labeling that society often creates but the care and energy involved to take care of the individuals.

No comments: